Achieving an Accurate Expression

Posted on 17. Jul, 2010 by in The Body

I just finished reading the post “Everyone” at The Ekklesia in Southern Maine, which I mentioned in my previous post.  After reading the post, and the subsequent comments, something really stood out to me, that I’ve come across briefly once before.  I think the tendency is to pattern ourselves after the NT church, and certainly this is better than the alternative.  I loved the comment by Dan, the post author:  “New testament church was doing it right as far as they emulated Christ’s example.”  I think the example of the NT church is a good place to start, but our focus has to be on Christ, and allowing Him to build His body.  Certainly even with the understanding we can gleam from the NT on how believers gathered, there are still a lot of “how’s” to be answered, and we only find those answers by seeking after Christ.  The second point I wanted to make, following after the first, is that there is no cookie cutter way to “do church” or “be church”.  I don’t think you can write a book with the 5 steps to creating ‘organic community’.  I think, as stated, that there are guidelines, but it may not always look exactly the same in each location, because each body has different personalities, gifts, etc.  I will be adding several new blogs to my blogroll, based on recent readings.  I’ll link to them now.

The Normal Christian – by Anthony Verderame.

My Church Journey – by Norma J Hill

The Ekklesia in Southern Maine – Dan Allen

The longer I live the more I see the beauty of the design of the Body of Christ.

Tags: ,

6 Responses to “Achieving an Accurate Expression”

1. Dan Allen 17 July 2010 at 7:24 pm #

Mark,

I have enjoyed reading your blog and I kind of feel a kinship to you in that we both just started blogging and I have been excited to see what God is doing in Kansas as I share what he is doing in Maine! It’s pretty awesome!

As I start out on this journey I realize two things: first that I have no idea what it means to be the church, and secondly that, although it would be really helpful, to have a ten step book would be totally counter intuitive to the natural expression of Christ’s body. I guess that leads to a third thing: we must fully depend on Christ! If I don’t know and I can’t learn it from a book, then I guess I have to depend on Him for answers!

I think you hit on those ideas well in this post.

Thanks for sharing!

-Dan

• Mark 17 July 2010 at 9:23 pm #

Dan,

I am amazed the kinship I feel with people in what could be considered a superficial venue. It is almost counter-intuitive to think of the Lord using man’s technology to advance His kingdom, but the community inter-connection possible with this is amazing. I appreciate what the Lord has planted in you and I look forward to reading more of your blog in the future.

God bless!

2. Arthur Sido 17 July 2010 at 10:44 pm #

It is too bad we all live so far apart, Kansas to Michigan to Maine. It seems that people seeking NT community and an accurate expression of the church are scattered far and wide.

• Mark 18 July 2010 at 2:19 pm #

I agree. It seems to me that He is doing a mighty work in His body, and that we are all individual seeds, which he will use to build a greater expression of His body. When I mentioned earlier about being a “sent one’, this is what I meant. I feel that he planted me as a seed in a barren place, with instructions to accomplish certain things, and now he is bringing together multiple seeds (or bricks, to change the metaphor) to begin building His body in my community. Maybe we’re all “apostles” in that respect, placed in the right place at the right time to begin His work.

3. norma j hill 18 July 2010 at 2:09 pm #

Greetings Mark! I have posted a new item, “Another Chance: Expanded Story” which explains in more detail the street level church I am so privileged to be part of.

And thank you for linking to my blog!

blessings!

• Mark 18 July 2010 at 2:20 pm #

I’ll be sure and read it!

Mark